Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Claire's Theology on Pulling Cards

Claire gets in trouble at school a lot. I mean a lot.

I am a rule follower. I was a teacher's pet all through school. Except Mr. Powell's 10th grade biology. We never hit it off. I'm not sure he hit it off with anyone.

I don't know what to do with a child who does not care to please her teacher through obedience. We are working through it, trying positive and negative reinforcement. She is currently working for a pizza Lunchable. She might be old enough to buy her own before she earns one. How can it be so hard for a child to be quiet for 4 consecutive days?! I think I could easily be quiet for that long, maybe longer.

Monday was bad--2 cards. Today, her teacher sent home a note reassuring me that Claire is not a bad child, she just likes to "talk and talk and talk." And she only pulled one card today.

That would have sent me into tears in Ms. Warren's kindergarten class. I still remember that one day I got in trouble in her class nearly 3 decades ago.

So we talked.

"Claire, why does Ms. Bailey have to say your name over and over and over to get you to stop talking?"

She replies with genuine sincerity, "Because Adam ate the fruit."

Claire and Ms. Bailey on P.J. day

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so, so, so, so funny. I have one JUST like her.

Jessica said...

Ha! Did we say awesome stuff like that when we were little? That is one special child you have on your hands! Good luck! :)

~Telah said...

Oh I love it! Too funny. Don't worry too much about Claire. If talking is the worst thing she gets into trouble for, she will be fine!