Wednesday, January 28, 2009

ME-member

Sometimes I think I have to have something amazing to say here. But I think it is important to write a few random moments of normalcy for me to remember. I will call it my ME-member list.

ME-member:
  • Claire wanted to send her "Get Well" card to the nurse at home (nursing home).
  • Before leaving for school yesterday, Sarah Kate looked at me very seriously and said, "I look pretty." How can you not agree with that? The new addition to her wardrobe that morning: a cheap plastic headband. Made her day!
  • Claire had her first "no one wants to be my friend" moment. It was totally her fault. She's bossy. She pouted, fussed, yelled at me because she was hurt. Then she drew her "she's not my friend anymore" Kaylie a beautiful picture of them being friends. Four-year-old friendships are beautiful!
  • I'm terrified today of the many times I will have to lovingly counsel my head-strong child on the intricacies of friendship.
  • When Sarah Kate gets mad, she shuffles her hands, looks down, then starts subtly kicking. Last night at dinner she got mad after being corrected for some minor infraction. I asked her, "do you need to sit on the green rug?" (our official cool-down/time-out spot). She looked at me and said, "yes." She got down and sat for about 3 or 4 minutes, then came back to the table. "I sorry, Mommy."
  • I love her correctability (I know that's not a word, but it should be). She struggles with shame over breaking rules, much like her Mommy. I think that's why she tucks her chin and starts her little angry dance. But her heart turns so completely. Her instructions are to sit until her attitude changes and she's ready to apologize. She gets to set her own time. And she will sit there as long as it takes to cool down and steer her will back in line. She comes back to me, contrite. "Sorry, Mommy. Yes mam." Even if that "yes mam" is not appropriate, she does it anyway. That seems to be her 2-year-old way of communicating submission. It humbles me every time. That is how beautiful and raw my own confession and submission to my Lord should be. "Sorry, Lord. Yes Sir."
  • We are done with diapers. I can't get Sarah Kate to wear the last one (she still has not conquered the nights). So, I have one diaper left. I don't know how I feel about that. I've been waiting for this moment for 4 years and 8 months. But, I'm a little sad. I don't have a baby anymore.
I'll leave it at that. If I travel much further on that train [of thought], I might just wake my snoring hubby!

(I wish I had taken a picture of them today!)

No comments: