Saturday, February 28, 2009

Changes

We have been through some domestic changes over the last 2 weekends. It's a big deal for the eldest and youngest in the Smith house.

First, Sarah Kate got her BIG GIRL BED!


her last morning to wake up in the baby bed


helping Daddy set up the new bed


making the bed
I love this one. She is very attached to Baby, the blanket she is spreading over her pillow. Mama can shop and fret over which spread to get, but her Big Girl Bed isn't truly her's without that Baby!

my Sweet Baby

Next project. David needs curtains. He's on nights and has to sleep during the day. Now, the man can sleep under most any circumstances. I wish I had a picture to post here of my sweetheart sitting on the couch at 5 a.m., asleep, cup of milk in one hand and a half eaten PB&J on a plate in his lap. I couldn't help but laugh the morning I discovered that one! But, the poor guy does have a little trouble getting his 7 hours of dreaming with the bright sun filtering through the cracks in our blinds. We have a HUGE window facing the woods, a door to the deck, and a smaller window by my side. All great when you're be-bopping around the house. Makes the room light and airy. But when you're trying to sleep during the day--not so great. (Also not so great on those nights he's at work and I hear a bump in the night! Thank you, Ultimate Security!)

I gather my inspiration from Nester, $12 worth of brown twin sheets from WalMart ($3 each x 4 sheets), one package of upholstery tacks, a step ladder and my hammer. Following Nester's plans for window mistreatments, I get to work. I start a DVR Law & Order SVU, plug in the iron and start de-wrinkling my new sheets-turned-curtains. Iron, pause L/O, hang a panel. Iron, pause L/O, hang a panel. And so-on. The result:

BEFORE



(Please overlook the blind in need of repair. It will soon disappear!)

AFTER




I plan to add a little trim. I couldn't find anything that suited me at WalMart (de-bunking the myth that if you can't find it at WalMart, you don't need it). I would like to add some ties for the times David is among the living during the day.

I am also aware of the Adam & Eve disease my walls have. They are SO naked! I am collecting plates for over the bed. I'm also on the prowl for a new duvet or quilt.

Two new projects await us. I have one more sheet and some snazzy ribbon to mistreat my bathroom windows. David's project is to cover the one vent hole under the deck that our builder left open. There are two cats under my house going at it. Again. And again. And again. Oh, my stars! Cats in love are VERY loud!

No comments: