Monday, February 16, 2009

Living Out Sunday's Lesson on Monday

Although funnies are sometimes saved for Fridays, this one couldn't wait! I'm in Walmart with the girls today, in the checkout line. Claire, getting a bit aggressive with her position in line, starts to play on the buggy in front of us. I ask her to please leave that nice woman and her buggy alone.

She whispers to me, "'cause she might be a widow?"

"What?"

"A widow. She might be a widow so I should leave her alone," she explains. I inquire about her new-found knowledge of widows. Quietly, of course, since said widow is close by, (slowly) loading her items on the conveyor belt while also trying to dig through her huge stack of coupons. Claire whispers, "a widow is someone who doesn't have a husband."

"Where did you learn this?"

"Sunday School," she replies. Trying to stifle the laughter that is fighting hard to find it's way out I manage to ask her why she thinks this lady (still working on completing her transaction) is a widow. "She's alone and she doesn't have a husband with her. That's why I think she might be a widow."

There are worse things your child can utter in the check-out line, I know. But, in that moment, I was thankful that our widow-friend didn't hear our conversation.

At least I hope she didn't!

Claire, after our eye appointment today. She looks super-cool in her eye doctor shades!

1 comment:

Officer Patty O'Furniture said...

hahaha! "if we could all just see the world through the eyes of a child!"