Monday, February 9, 2009

Mama, I Have a Question


Usually, when Claire prefaces a conversation with the title phrase, it's something trivial, like "what were you doing while you weren't sitting in that chair?" Tonight, she raised the stakes on me.

C: Mama, I have a question.

Me: Sure, baby. What is it?

C: How do I believe in God with all his heart?

Me: What?

C: How do I believe in God with all his heart so I can get baptized?

I will spare you my fumbled explanation. I was thrilled that my soon-to-be-five baby has started to process the Christian faith. I try to embody Deuteronomy 6:5-9 but know that I spend most of my time flat on my spiritual rump. To hear this child inquire about the things of Heaven both excited and frightened me. How wonderful that the small seeds planted are beginning to emerge from the soil. But, now my tender shoot is subject to so many elements, the most ominous being my influence. The response to her question, my response to our daily life--all of these things either shine light and offer water, or they choke out the Son.

We talked about it more over dinner with Daddy present. I think she is beginning to put the pieces together. I didn't realize how complicated God's grace and mercy are to explain. It is also simplistic. After all, Jesus encouraged "faith like a child." Thank GOD for the Holy Spirit, who takes our jumbled words and authors Truth in the hearts of others.

Our conversation terminated as Claire-like as it began.

Daddy: So, Claire, you can pray anytime to ask God to help you believe with all your heart that Jesus is enough to take care of your sins.

Me: And you can ask him to forgive you for all of your sins.

C: Well, I'm not doing it tonight!

The end!

Really, it's just the beginning!

1 comment:

Officer Patty O'Furniture said...

Oh wowzers! It will be so neat to watch her grow and understand! I'm sure I'll be able to learn so much from her and will probably be inspired to check my "adult faith" in all its cynicism.